With the start of the new semester, and going back to work after a Christmas break of poor sleeping habits, I am finding it difficult to get back into the swing of being an adult. I’ve still yet to complete my list of 22 things I would like to do in 2022, and I have not really been committed to much of anything personal health or hobby related.
One thing that will be on my list, and has been on my list since 2019/2020 is to cook and prepare healthy meals that will help me not only have a more well-balanced diet, but will also give me something fun to do if I ever become social again (dinner party at the Davis Hovel anyone?). One of the things I like about being able to order my groceries online from Tesco is that they have suggested recipes. When you scroll through them, if you find one that you like, you can add all the ingredients to your cart automatically. I’ve found three recipes so far, and tried the first one out last week.
And what do you know? It was a success! Turns out I can follow a recipe and make a very simple meal of fish finger tacos.
Now some of you who know me as more than words on the page know that I love making tacos, but rarely do more than cook the meat and make my own guac. Usually it is more about opening jars and grating cheese, heating things on the stove (and sometimes microwaving instant rice), rather than making things from scratch. I can actually cook and bake a lot of things, but lately have been living off meal deals and microwave meals.
Because of this, I was proper chuffed with myself for making these super delicious tacos, including my own tartare sauce to enjoy for a few days. If you want to recreate this meal, never fear, I have the recipe for your enjoyment.
- 12 frozen fish fingers
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 50g pickled sliced jalapeños, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 150g pack crunchy taco shells
- 1 Little Gem lettuce, shredded
For the tartare sauce
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp finely chopped gherkins
- 2 tsp capers, finely chopped
- 15g flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Cook the fish fingers to pack instructions.
- Meanwhile, mix the tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeños (if using), half the lemon juice and the oil in a bowl and season.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, gherkins, capers, parsley and remaining lemon juice.
- Fill each taco shell with some shredded lettuce and 1 tbsp of the tomato salsa. Top with a fish finger and a little tartare sauce to serve.
The only thing I skipped was the gherkins.
My next adventure will be a veggie soup, and if I make this again, I will probably skip the fish fingers and try breading and cooking my own fish….you know, just to be fancy.