For my 29th birthday I made a list of 30 things I want to do before I turn 30. It includes everything from learning to drive here to cooking an exotic meal.
This week I got to cross one off the list. Number two on the list: Present at an academic conference has now been completed. I will be able to cross this one off the list for a second time in June (and fingers crossed a third time in December). I got to peddle my wares at the first annual School of Life, Sport, and Social Science Postgraduate Research Conference. I am the only educational pedagogic theorist in the school, and I like to toot my own horn over that. The conference was a chance to get my feet wet, and a chance to master the Pecha Kutcha style of presenting.
After a few weeks of stressing I was able to present my 20 slides with just 20 seconds a slide. I’m properly chuffed with myself about that. I was really stressing over the format, but by the time I stepped on the stage, I forgot about being nervous and just talked to the crowd for 6 minutes and 40 seconds. I was even asked some really great questions, and the programme leader for a programme I am working with emailed me to tell me that he enjoyed my talk. One of my supervisors was able to make it, and my desk mate and friend came to support me as well. I forgot to have him record it or take pictures, but all in all, I think the day was a success.
Not bad for knocking the first one off the list. I am in the process of doing a few more of these, so it is only a matter of time before I can cross some more off the list.
- Learn how to drive in the UK.
Present at an academic conference
- Start a new tradition
- Go back to therapy
- Visit three new countries
- Ride in a hot air balloon
- Quit the tutoring centre
- Volunteer for a literacy programme
- Read a book that has more than 500 pages
- Make my bed everyday for at least three months
- Have a solid draft of my thesis completed
- Master scorpion pose
- Attend the symphony
- Learn a rap song from start to finish
- Host a dinner party
- Create a budget so I can pay down my student loans
- Create something original
- Create a solid workout regime
- Go on a long hike (6 miles or more)
- Learn to dance
- Eat an exotic meal
- Learn to cook a fancy meal
- Yell at a football match
- Go horseback riding
- Master British spelling and punctuation
- Create a good sleep schedule
- See my favorite group in concert
- Fall in love
- Stop holding grudges
- Let go of my expectations