I’m a week late. I have not been motivated to write lately. I’m tired and have been running around for data collection, meetings with students and teaching in the evening. All of this is good though. Things are progressing nicely in all of those areas, and I am feeling much better about where I am in terms of my work compared to last year at this time, and I think I am finally on a steady path. I didn’t like the writing challenge for last week, and today marks my 30 day countdown to turning 30, so I thought it was time to update the list.
16. Create a budget to pay down my student loans. Unfortunately this one involves my mom helping me out for right now. There was no way I could afford to pay that and go to therapy, so I am burdening her for a bit longer. The loan is getting paid though, and I am a couple months away from being under $10,000. I’m really excited about that.
18. Create a solid workout routine. Even though the sleep doc couldn’t really help me with my sleep issues, she did give me some ways to help my joints during the day that forces me up and around, and I found a couple of yoga classes to do before bed. My phone also has a help app that guilts me into walking around more during the day. It works, as I try to get at least an hour of walking in a day.
22. Learn to cook a fancy meal. I made my own Chinese food! Orange chicken, chow mein, and egg fried rice. The rice I cheated on, but I made everything else.
The chow mein was a little bland, so I will have to keep working on that, but it wasn’t bad for my first attempt.
With 30 days left, I still have some big things to cross off the list. I’m working on the rap song, but finding a horse and hot air balloon here is super difficult. I’ve managed to get 20 things crossed off and still have some time to work on the rest. There is one thing on the list that I realize might be hard to cross off, but I am going to remain hopeful.
20 days until sunshine.
Learn how to drive in the UK. Present at an academic conference Start a new tradition Go back to therapy Visit three new countries (1/3 done with my trip to Malta, next up, France in November and Hungary in December)
- Ride in a hot air balloon
Quit the tutoring centre
- Volunteer for a literacy programme
Read a book that has more than 500 pages Make my bed everyday for at least three months Have a solid draft of my thesis completed
- Master scorpion pose
Attend the symphony
- Learn a rap song from start to finish
Host a dinner party Create a budget so I can pay down my student loans Create something original Create a solid workout regime
- Go on a long hike (6 miles or more)
- Learn to dance
Eat an exotic meal Learn to cook a fancy meal Yell at a football match
- Go horseback riding
Master British spelling and punctuation Create a good sleep schedule See my favorite group in concert
- Fall in love
- Stop holding grudges
- Let go of my expectations